Clean beauty is now the shiz that is here to stay for not long but forever. Chemicals in skin care and beauty products have been playing with our skin since years but not it’s time to unveil the mask of promises they wear while damaging the skin for long.
Now is the time to revolutionize your skin and know what’s actually in the product rather than just the name.
There are a dozen of dirty ingredients that have been housing on your skin in lieu of the temporary coverage they give and it’s time we learn the evil in them and throw them out of the window, for good.
- Parabens: This very common ingredient sounds familiar because it is found in almost everything from your hand and face wash to shampoos and toothpaste as well. Parabens are preservatives that do prevent bacteria formation but are known to cause skin irritation, contact dermatitis and even breast cancer.
- Sulfates: The foam and bubbles are what we fantasise but they come at the cost of this toxic ingredient getting close up on our skin. Sulfates, more commonly known as SLS (Sodium laurel sulphate) are there in face cleansers, body washes, shampoos, bathing bars, detergents et cetera. Sulfate is a harsh ingredient that can cause dermatitis and redness of the skin.
- Phthalates: Love how the fragrances of your shower gels stick and last for hours on your skin, all kudos to phthalates but really? Found in almost everything nice smelling from soaps, and shampoos to your sanitary napkins, this fragrance enhancer is a major reason for dryness, skin irritation and the top cause of contact dermatitis. The statistics also reflect chances of birth defects, breast cancer and diabetes due to regular interaction of skin with phthalates.
- Triclosan: We must stay anti-bacterial all the time but the safety to keep the bacteria at bay comes with its own set of disadvantages through this toxic ingredient. An addition in hand soaps, cleaning sprays, sanitisers and everything that promises to kill germs, triclosan is known to cause skin and eye disruption, hormonal ad endocrine disruption and resistance to antibiotics in humans.
- Synthetic colors and Coal Tar dyes: Artificial colours and dyes are used to give colour to a skin or hair product. The ingredient is extensively used in cosmetics, skin care products, hair products, medications et cetera. This dirty dosage is capable of causing cancer especially in the lymphs and messing with the brain.
- PEG compounds: The need for long-lasting moisture and shine has led the formulas like moisturizers, conditioners, lip balms and more to be loaded with PEG compounds. Though we assume the ingredient to be helpful to solve our fight against dry and dull conditions, the toxicant is proven to hamper with human development in certain cases. It also causes skin irritation at times.
- DEA: Present in most facial cleansers, soaps, shampoos and all things creating suds and foam, DEA is a very harmful ingredient that causes short-term skin and eye irritation while regular usage is linked to cancer threat in organs like liver and skin.
Apart from these, there are a dozen of other dirty ingredients we come in contact with on a day to day basis, and this calls us to wake our inner armour in order to be safe.